Reading and Phonics
Daily virtual Phonics lessons for children:
To help children learning to read at home during school closure, RWI are streaming phonics, reading and spelling lessons every weekday on their YouTube channel.
Each lesson is ten to fifteen minutes long and available for 24 hours.
From 1st June:
All lessons will be available at 9.30 am.
Set 1, 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will restart.
Set 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will include new words for reading and spelling.
New daily films:
- Read longer words: for children who can read Set 3 sounds and words confidently.
- Read Red Words 1: for children who are reading Red, Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Reception.
- Read Red Words 2: for children who are reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Y1.
- Read and Hold a Sentence 1 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing with Set 1 sounds confidently and learning Set 2 sounds.)
- Read and Hold a Sentence 2 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing words with Set 2 sounds confidently and learning Set 3 sounds.)
Speed Sound Schedule for this week:
Monday 8th June
- Set 1 - i
- Set 2 – oo – look at a book
- Set 3 – u - e Reading longer words – oo/ u -e/ ew
Tuesday 9th June
- Set 1 - n
- Set 2 - ar
- Set 3 – aw Reading longer words – or/ aw
Wednesday 10th June
- Set 1 - p
- Set 2 - o r
- Set 3 - are Reading longer words –air/ are
Thursday 11th June
- Set 1 - g
- Set 2 - air
- Set 3 – ur Reading longer words – ir/ ur/ er
Friday 12th June
- Set 1 – o
- Set 2 – ir
- Set 3 – er Reading longer words – ou/ ow
Read Write Inc. guide for parents:
If you click on the link above, it will take you to the Read Write Inc. page on Oxford Owl for Home. Here you can find lots of free resources to support your child’s learning during the school closures.
They have lots of free Read Write Inc. Phonics resources to help your child continue learning, including eBooks, practice sheets, Ditty sheets, slideshows, and parent films.
Teachers who teach Read Write Inc. Phonics are trained to teach the programme, but don’t worry if you are not a phonics expert! These activities will help you support your child during this period of school closures. They suggest you start by watching this film for parents.
Mrs Maloney's Phonics Challenge
Oxford Owl have free eBooks, developed for children aged 3–11 years old. They are making even more eBooks available here, for the duration of UK school closures, so that your child has more to read. Please click on the link below:
Coronavirus - A book for children
Compass Primary Reading Challenge
Challenge yourselves to participate in the Compass Primary Reading Challenge either as a family or as an individual.
Free books to read online:
Getting to the library will be difficult at the moment, so click on the links below to access free online ebooks.
https://ukhosted85.renlearn.co.uk/…/P…/RPM/Login/Login.aspx… - your child will need their log in details to AR, which can be retrieved by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note this is for KS1 (year 2) /KS2 only.
http://www.childrenslibrary.org/icdl/SimpleSearchCategory… - this allows you to read books in many different languages
A message from 'The Wizarding World Team'.
"We know that everyone is trying to keep safe at home at the moment and so, with J.K. Rowling and our friends at Audible, Bloomsbury, OverDrive, Pottermore Publishing and Scholastic, we are delighted to introduce Harry Potter At Home to help children, parents, carers and teachers add a touch of Harry Potter magic to our new daily lives."
Storytime with David Walliams:
Listen to th fabulous David Walliams everyday at 11am at:
The BookTrust Home Time:
Looking for something fun as a family? Enjoy storytime with their free online books and videos, play games, win prizes, test your knowledge in their book-themed quizzes, or even learn how to draw some of your favourite characters.