SMSC at Compass
What is SMSC?
SMSC stands for spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. It is not an individual subject but routed throughout all areas of both the curriculum and extra-curricular provision.
- Explore and be reflective about their own beliefs, religious or otherwise.
- Respect others faiths, feelings and values.
- Enjoy learning about oneself, others and the surrounding world.
- Use of imagination and creativity in their learning.
- Recognise the difference between right and wrong.
- Understand and respect the law and be aware of the consequences.
- Investigate moral and ethical issues.
- Appreciate the viewpoints of others.
- Use a range of social skills in a range of contexts.
- Participate in a variety of charity and community events.
- Understand and demonstrate the British Values.
- Appreciate cultural influences that have shaped their own and others heritages.
- Awareness of Britain's parliamentary system and its role within our history.
- Participate in artistic, musical, sporting and cultural opportunities.
- Celebrate, accept, respect and understand diversity.
At Compass Primary the children are the heart of everything we do and SMSC is the thread the binds our curriculum together. We seek to promote pupils who are ready for the next phase in their lives by encouraging them to be creative and critical thinkers. We create responsible citizens who have self belief and ambition to make a difference in the future and care for themselves, each other and the world they live in.
The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of our children is embedded across both the curriculum and extra-curricular provision. We foster the values of responsibility, respect, aspiration, co-operation and resilience through everything we do including assemblies, celebrations and everyday learning. Our pupil leadership team enables a pupil voice and consists of a range of pupils across the cohort. Our assemblies are carefully considered to cover a diverse SMSC offer and also celebrate the successes of all pupils. Our PSHCE and RE curriculum allow pupils to develop spiritually and morally in a supportive setting.
Click on the tabs to left to find out more about our SMSC offer.