To help children learning to read at home during school closure, RWI are streaming phonics, reading and spelling lessons every weekday on their YouTube channel.
Each lesson is ten to fifteen minutes long and available for 24 hours.
From 1st June:
All lessons will be available at 9.30 am.
Set 1, 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will restart.
Set 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will include new words for reading and spelling.
New daily films:
- Read longer words: for children who can read Set 3 sounds and words confidently.
- Read Red Words 1: for children who are reading Red, Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Reception.
- Read Red Words 2: for children who are reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Y1.
- Read and Hold a Sentence 1 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing with Set 1 sounds confidently and learning Set 2 sounds.)
- Read and Hold a Sentence 2 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing words with Set 2 sounds confidently and learning Set 3 sounds.)
Speed Sound Schedule for this week:
Monday 13th July
Set 1 - nk
Set 2 – ar
Set 3 – ew
Reading longer words – ee/ ea (restarts)
Tuesday 14th July
Set 1 – m (Set 1 restarts)
Set 2 – or
Set 3 – ire
Reading longer words – oy/ oi
Wednesday 15th July
Set 1 - a
Set 2 – air
Set 3 – ear
Reading longer words – ay/ a-e/ ai
Thursday 16th July
Set 1 - s
Set 2 – ir
Set 3 – ure
Reading longer words – igh/ i-e
Friday 17th July
Set 1 - d
Set 2 – ou
Set 3 – ea (Set 3 restarts)
Reading longer words – ow
Read Write Inc. guide for parents:
If you click on the link above, it will take you to the Read Write Inc. page on Oxford Owl for Home. Here you can find lots of free resources to support your child’s learning during the school closures.
They have lots of free Read Write Inc. Phonics resources to help your child continue learning, including eBooks, practice sheets, Ditty sheets, slideshows, and parent films.
Teachers who teach Read Write Inc. Phonics are trained to teach the programme, but don’t worry if you are not a phonics expert! These activities will help you support your child during this period of school closures. They suggest you start by watching this film for parents.
Mrs Maloney's Challenge: